The return of the Lights

The northern lights are back! Well actually they have been back for a couple of weeks, but I didn’t get to see them yet. I saw some weak northern lights 2 days ago, which turned out to be “deep-sky auroras”. I didn’t take any photos, but someone else did – see Fredrik Broms’s photos here.

Last night I missed a great show, but tonight I finally got lucky. I was working a late shift when the northern lights appeared. They were very strong while I was driving home, so I ran inside the house just to grab my camera and tripod and drove to Telegrafbukta to get some photos. Of course the lights had almost disappeared by then 😉 but I waited patiently and they came back. This is a great time of the year to watch them. It’s beautiful when the sky still has some light in them, and with temperatures over 10 degrees it’s comfortable outside – no need for gloves 😀

Auroras against the sunset sky - this was at 23:25 and it's still not dark At some point, the aurora got stronger and moved around quite a lot With an exposure time of only 5 seconds, you can see the structure of the aurora much better

These are the first northern light photos taken with my new camera – I recently replaced my Canon EOS 350D with the EOS 600D – and I am very pleased with it. I also took a photo of the starry sky to the south. With an exposure time of 1 minute, the stars start to show as small trails.

Starry night

I have to be back at work by 8 tomorrow morning, so I better get some sleep now 🙂

Tags:

9 Responses to “The return of the Lights”

1. Martha says:

Where is Polaris in Photo #4? he..he…he…he….

• Hanneke says:

Not in the picture 😀 but I had to check the longer exposure I took which shows real stripes… easy way to find that one!

2. anjči says:

Goodness, Hanneke. GOODNESS! These photos are incredible. I can’t believe the Northern Lights are back already! You are so lucky living up there.

Now I know with whom I will be going on a nordlysjakt in January : ) Will respond to the email soon! Take care!

• Hanneke says:

Thanks so much 😀 They can even be seen in August, I believe this year it was first seen in Tromsø on the 14th of August, can you believe it!

Looking forward to our “jakt” 😀
      Take care!

3. Hi Hanneke

You have caught some beautiful pictures like always! It`s great to know that there are several people who simply can`t stay inside in bed when the auroras appear in the sky 🙂

All the best from Kvaløya, Fredrik

• Hanneke says:

Thank you Fredrik! When there is aurora I always end up with a lack of sleep, sometimes I am almost relieved when it’s cloudy so I can get a good night of sleep 😀 So far it looks like this winter I won’t be able to sleep much, with the aurora so active! I was out last night as well, good show!

I always enjoy your blog :). Those last pictures with the corona were incredible! I was on night shift that night and tried to spot them, but I couldn’t see anything but clouds.

All the best, and perhaps we’ll meet under the aurora one day 🙂

4. Lene says:

I know this is an verey old post but , where did you get the canon eos 650d ???
    i vant to by it but i didnt thought that it would be realesed before 7. 2012 ..
    please answer where did you get it from ? 🙂

• Hanneke says:

Oops Lene, I was confused!! I have the 600D, not the 650D… sorry to disappoint you! I changed it now. I had the 350D before, guess that’s where the confusion came from 😉

5. Lene says: